Surrey, British Columbia – Guildford Town Centre, owned and managed by Ivanhoé Cambridge, is proud to announce it has achieved LEED® Gold Core and Shell (CS) certification for its 2013 expansion and renovation.
This certification is in line with Ivanhoé Cambridge’s commitment to developing best-in-class buildings for its customers, tenants and partners. LEED® (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification means that a project has undergone a rigorous design, construction, documentation and review process by independent parties to substantiate its quality.
“This LEED® Gold certification for Guildford Town Centre’s new expanded area is an important milestone in positioning the shopping centre at the cutting edge of design and retail trends in order to offer a unique shopping environment,” said Peggy Howard, General Manager, Guildford Town Centre. “Guildford Town Centre has been a proud member of the City of Surrey for 49 years and we are committed to reducing our environmental footprint for the benefit of our employees, shoppers and the community where we live and work. Achieving LEED® Gold certification is another way we show our dedication to a sustainable future for Surrey.”
Initiatives that led to this certification include:
- 40 electric-vehicle charging stalls and access to a number of public transportation routes;
- Bicycle storage and changing rooms for tenants to encourage active, zero-emission transportation;
- Low-flow water fixtures in all restrooms, and a state-of-the-art irrigation system to reduce water use;
- Energy efficient lighting and heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems, which reduce operating costs;
- Recycling and organic materials collection;
- Building material with recycled content and containing low to no volatile organic compounds (VOCs); and
- A sustainable design guideline to encourage and support green design and construction by our tenants.
As a result of these initiatives, Guildford Town Centre will be able to observe many cost and resource improvements, including about a 50% reduction in energy costs pursuant to the Model National Energy Code for Buildings (MNECB).
LEED® certification is a mark of quality and achievement in green building. It is the most widely used green-building rating system in the world and provides independent verification of a building’s or neighbourhood’s green features.
About Guildford Town Centre
Guildford Town Centre is the largest regional shopping centre south of the Fraser River and is centrally located in the City of Surrey. With more than 250 stores, including many top national and international brands, the redeveloped centre offers many services, unique amenities such as interior and exterior “living walls,” water features, and a beautiful 1,034 seat food court. For more information, visit: www.GuildfordTownCentre.com